Monday, August 3, 2009

Who's Your Paul? - You need a wise mentor.


We all need someone in our lives who's "been there, done that" and has had the wisdom to learn from the experience. When I was growing up in Jersey City, we got all of the New York City radio stations, and one of my favorite programs was the Mr. Magic Rap Attack on WBLS, featuring "Super Rockin' Mr. Magic, and his man DJ Marley Marl." At the end of every show, Mr. Magic would say, "Any fool can learn from his own mistakes, but it takes a wise guy or a wise gal like you and me to learn from the mistakes made by others."

Who is that person in your life who has made those mistakes... who HAS LEARNED and lives to share those lessons learned so that you don't meet with the same pitfalls?

Your Paul is your sage. The one who you submit yourself to in order to learn “the way,” the basics, the one who tutors you in matters of tradition and experience. Your Paul will help you to understand which battles are worth fighting and which ones are not.

Your apprenticeships will change, but they should never end.

Sometimes your Paul’s will choose you, but oftentimes you will choose your own Paul’s. So how do you choose your Paul?

Some characteristics that you should look for in a Paul:

1. HUMILITY – A good Paul will know that they don’t know it all, and has a willingness to learn with you, as much as a willingness to teach you.

It has always been my personal position that I would rather walk with people, and learn beside them than to dictate to them what is right and what is wrong from my perspective because my perspective isn’t failsafe. Contrary to what people might think, I know that I don't know it all.

The one who knows much says little; an understanding person remains calm. Proverbs 17:27


2. HONESTY - A good Paul will be willing and able to tell you the truth, “even rebuke you, especially when you are willing to settle for easy answers.”

Someone who is unwilling to tell you when you are wrong or at least enter into a dialogue about it, is someone who will never facilitate your growth.


3. CRITICAL – A good Paul must be critical WITH you.

Some people equate being “critical” with being negative. BUT you see, there is a difference between “criticizing” and being “critical.” Its hard to criticize without doing harm, but to be critical is simply a way of dissecting the truth in search of the smaller deeper truths that shape the greater truths. It also involves debunking lies and half truths, which undermine the real truth.


4. INTEGRITY – A good Paul is a man/woman of integrity.

What I mean by this is simply that they practice what they preach. They talk the talk, and they walk the walk. You will never respect a Paul who doesn’t walk in integrity.


5. RESPECT – You must respect your Paul.

When I say “respect” here, I’m not thinking Aretha Franklin…

"R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Find out what it means to me… Just a little bit!!!"

I’m thinking more like HONOR. Your Paul should be someone who is honorable in thy sight. That is to say that they are deserving of honor. Whenever I get ready to sit down in a pulpit, I always pause, take a knee, and pray, “Lord cleanse thy servant of all unrighteousness that I might not dishonor you in service to your kingdom.” I do this because I realize that to sit under God as a minister of the gospel is an honor, thus I wish to return that honor to God in service. Your Paul should be such a one that, by her/his relationship with you, demands such honor. Not worship-that belongs to God alone, but honor.

Nathan’s point the way… Barnabus’ encourage us along the way… Jonathan’s walk with us along the way… Jethro’s bless up to go the way… PAUL’s guide and teach us as we go.

No comments:

What quality would you most like people to notice when they meet you?