Saturday, August 1, 2009

Learning to Receive


Have you ever heard the saying, "It is more blessed to give than to receive?" Well, the first time I was invited to a church to minister to a youth group, the leader of the group put a check in my hand after I finished up. I promptly returned it explaining to her that I didn't come for money. She then grabbed my wrist, opened my hand, and said, "You are going to have to learn to receive!" She said, "You have to allow other people the privilege of blessing you."

I had never thought of it that way, and now years later I still have a problem allowing people to "do for me." Oh, I receive the check at the end of service now... more like I give it to my wife, but we don't turn it down! BUT, for some of us, its hard to receive. In fact, not being able to receive, whether it be gifts of money, words of wisdom, or general kindnesses is akin to a God complex. In our relationship with God, God is the primary giver, and we are the primary receiver. Not liking to receive is to prefer God's place.

Len Sweet says, "as important as it is to be generous, its even more important to be gracious receivers."

No comments:

What quality would you most like people to notice when they meet you?