Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Blessed Gift From My Kindred Brother in South Africa



This is a the cover of a book given to me by my South African brother Glen Samaai.



This is what he wrote on the inside cover:

Dear Fred,

The author of this book gave me this copy as a present at the funeral of my minister, the Rev. Abe Moart. Rev. Moart was a great man who was locked up several times by the Apartheid government.

Jama's autobiography tells the stories of the freedom fighters activities in and around Paarl. I am sure that he would approve of me giving you this book - in doing so, his story will spread to other parts of the world as well.

Many of the people in this book are familiar to me:

- Patrick Ricketts is the brother of one of my colleagues at school. We all attended Noorden Paarl High School.
- Vivian Matthee, murdered by Apartheid forces, was a classmate of mine in grade 8.
- Lloyd Fortuiu lives 2 streets from me. His wife served on our school governing body.
- The Essup family is also a tennis playing family in Paarl. Their daughter Shamiela was a member of the provincial team I captained in the 1980's. This team was awesome - we won the provincial tennis tournament, and were crowned South Africa's best team six times in a row!!

Enjoy reading this book.

Glenn Samaai

I'll be reading it on the flight home... can't wait!

No comments:

What quality would you most like people to notice when they meet you?