Sunday, September 14, 2008

Quitting Graduate School

Last week I considered quitting graduate school.

I started working on a 96 credit masters degree in 2004, finished that up in 2007 and went straight into a doctoral program. In that same span of time, I got married, changed jobs, moved to another state, been ordained by two different denominations, and probably several other significant things that I have forgotten. Did I mention that I drive a few hundred miles a week to get from home to work to school to home to work to school, etc.?

People often ask me,

How do you do it?


My typical response,
I love my studies. They motivate me. They give me life. When nothing else in life is going right, my studies give me a sense of purpose.


What happened? Did I stop believing this? No way! I still believe it, but I'm tired. My body is tired. I'm not eating right. I can never get to the gym to shed this 10 pounds that I hate... and while I have been diligent in my studies, I have become slothful in some other areas.

My spiritual life is in a funk. I'm not remaining vigilant...

I got an email on Friday from someone who finds inspiration in me for some reason... a classmate from last semester. Someone who's life story is parallel to mine in many ways. He said,
I miss big bro you?


I told my wife that I had considered quitting grad school, and she laughed and said,
Right?!


I said,
No seriously, but my lil bro told me not to. He didn't know it, but he did.


LOVE!!!

1 comment:

child_of_africa said...

hey! you are blogging again! hooray :-)

Thinking of quitting graduate school!!! There is NO WAY I would ever let you do that! I would rally all the professors at GSE around you to try to make sure of that somehow. You ARE doing a lot. I wanted to give up several times so I guess you probably shoudl expect a return of such feelings. Just ignore them though. Sounds like you have people who inspire you to keep going though. I would always think of my dear father and how proud he would have been of me to complete my PhD and that would keep me going every time.

What quality would you most like people to notice when they meet you?