Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Do People Care Anynore?

My wife and I live in an inner city setting. Compared to where I grew up, its pretty darn nice. We own a historic, 3 story, brick home. We enjoy being close to the riverfront, fine dining, other big cities, theaters and museums. I personally like the sounds and cultural diversity that you can find in the city. The city, along with all of its benefits, has baggage. Big cities are typically overcrowded, have stereotypically "bad" sections, crime, and major politics. My wife is from suburbia. She's more used to a quiet, non-intimidating existence. I'm from the inner city. I'm used to a rough and tumble, "do for self," "who you staring at," existence. Quite a paradox huh? Fearlessness is one of my flaws. Very little frightens me. I have seen all types of violence and experienced violence myself. In 1991, I was shot 3 times. Last night, I was sitting on the living room floor reading, and my wife was sitting on the sofa playing Jewel Quest on her laptop, when we heard a woman's frantic screams. I jumped up instinctively, ran downstairs and outside barefoot, where I encountered a young white male chocking a woman. He stopped as I ran toward him yelling, "Hey man! What the Hell are you doing!?!?!" The woman ran into my arms and said, "Please help me sir. He's my son. He's high on drugs and he attacked me. Please call the police." My wife, called the police. I tried to talk to her son, but he ran off. My wife and I sat just inside of our front door consoling the sobbing woman. I guess she was blessed to be in the care of a minister and a physician. She explained to us that her son was a good man, when he wasn't under the influence of drugs and alcohol, and she thanked me for coming so quickly to her aid. I fully understand how drugs and alcohol bring out latent behaviors that can make the kindest people act in ways they never thought possible. Eventually the police came, and we saw the lady off safely.

When we went back inside, I said to my wife, "No one else in the neighborhood even came outside. Do people even care anymore?" I understand that times have changed and being a "good Samaritan" can be dangerous today, but it feels more and more that people just don't care anymore.

Have you had similar experiences? Have you driven by someone broken down on the side of the road lately, thought about helping them, and then just decided to keep on going? I have. It seems that we are losing community, in a traditional sense... and I am just not sure of what this means for us as a people... as human beings.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Fred,
This is K from MD I am a friend of your wife. I appreciate your blog. I agree we as a society have lost the sense of community. I can remember growing up in the city and suburbia and people my parents especially would go out of their way to help a strangler in need especially in the case of someone being abused or attacked. As a nation we are so focused on global issues that we will allow the screams of a woman being attacked only move us to look out our window with the lights off in hopes we were not spotted and now convicted to help someone we don't know what an inconvienence it would be that someone's evening would be interuped to help someone in need. I am just thankful that the woman in need was on your street and you and your wife were there to assist her. I believe the responsibility of community is the responsibility of Christians.

Anonymous said...

is she a neighbor of yours? is she ok? did her son come back? you're right, people don't help each other anymore....thank God you were there, and that he didn't have a weapon...i think that's what stops people from helping, they don't know the capability of the attacker....but sometimes you have to just act on instinct.....

Pedagogical Criticality said...

She was not a neighbor. She was quite shaken. She couldn't even dial her daughter on her cell phone. She had me dial for her. I felt bad for her. If you have ever had an addict in the family, you know that their families might as well be addicts too, because they suffer all of the consequences and baggage that come along with being an addict. She described a life of turmoil with her son, who she obviously loves.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to her. It was a blessing that you were home. Unfortunately, we live in world where it would not have been safe for your wife to go outside by herself because she could have suffered the same fate as the victim or worse. I have 2 small children and I do not dare stop the car or turn my back with them with me. I guess it is a fear thing.

Marcea

Pedagogical Criticality said...

I can totally relate to that. There are times when I have had to check my ego for the safety of my loved ones. The best course of action today, is to be non confrontational... but, I am quite sure that protecting a loved one would relieve me of most any rational response...

Anonymous said...

We care but we are so damned scared, and there is a lot to be afraid of believe me; especially in the inner city. Kid's with guns; gang bangers, and drug addicts; they don't care who they shoot. A stranger, family member, mother, Pastor, they just don't care.
Sir; you just be careful.

Pedagogical Criticality said...

There is a lot to fear out there, and I know some good people who have been hurt while trying to do the right thing. The thing is, there are many good people out there too, and many people who are misguided and are just acting out... its tough to know the difference sometimes though...

child_of_africa said...

What a beautiful story! If I was the woman I would definitely have believed that you and your wife were shining angels sent from God to protect me which you probably were.

Pedagogical Criticality said...

My wife told me that the lady said the very same thing.

Dvorahj said...

Ain't that the truth! I do understand!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

What quality would you most like people to notice when they meet you?