Saturday, October 27, 2007

Black Boy


I am listening to Richard Wright's, Black Boy on audiobook for the 2nd time. I think it is a piece of American literature that everyone should read at least once. It is an insight into the mind of an African American man that is unmatched. The chronicling of the realities of black life, the psychological dysfunction created by a world that has taught you that you are hopelessly inadequate, the troubling knowledge that you are one in a long line of those grappling with a reality that is far from what you hope for, and far less than you could ever accept. As I listen to Richard Wright's struggle with bending his humanity to fit into a space that cannot be occupied by the expanse of his personal hopes and dreams... I feel at one with him, and in this identification I also have a feeling of emptiness. A feeling of inadequacy, of being less than, and this... This is what compels me to continue forward.

As Wright dialogues on the his interactions with whites in the south in the late 1920's, and his internal struggles with simply wanting to be treated like he was a human being, and not having to play the part of a simpleton in order to avoid upsetting whites... its obvious why there is so much black on black violence. Being stripped of one's manhood, and having only one place where aggression is accepted, gives one but a single outlet and often leads one to act out in ways that are self destructive... ...I recall a verse from a hip hop recording called, Getaway,

9 out of 10 are black on black crimes, 4 out of 9 are killed before their time, the other 5 wanted vengeance, so now 5 out of 5 are doing a jail sentence. Ask me I've been through it, so when I reach for the top, I'll say the ghetto made me do it. I know how to strive, born and raised in the ghetto, so you know I can survive.
Has an heir of hopelessness, but ends with hope...

I once heard someone say, I think it was Anderson Cooper, that
Hope is not a plan
And while this may be true, hope gives birth to faith and faith is the substance that drives one forward even when one is unsure of what the future holds... "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen..." Faith is what drives me even when I feel like, as Richard Wright says, "this is not a civilization... its a culture, and you have to figure out a way to navigate it... as he struggled to learn... to force himself to behave in ways that seemed to defy his personhood..." Faith pushes me forward... Faith gives me a reason to rise in the morning... Faith...

Studying racism, listening to Wright, and living are like a BIG collision for me!

I'm glad that I have learned to respond to something greater than my humanity... something that binds humankind together regardless of how we "act" out our roles in society.

6 comments:

child_of_africa said...

what a breathtaking post! looks like i need to add another book to my reading list.

Stephen A. Bess said...

Black Boy is an excellent social commentary and a wonderful read. It's my absolute favorite. My seconds will have to The Outsider and The Long Dream. Great post! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Your transparency of feeling inadequate in this society is something that is rarely ever discussed. I don't think you have to be a black male to feel the isolation either imposed on you by society or by your own expectations. The beauty of literature that leads you to a place of further self discovery is awesome. We could all be "stuck" in our categories of black, latino, poor, male, female, single parent, abused, mistreated, ignored, etc. The place you take us to at the end of your blog is the place where I find peace. That place is a place of hope and faith that goes beyond my outward description or even inner feelings. It leads me to a place of realizing that there is something, better yet Someone bigger than I am who I can have hope and faith in. Thank you for sharing yourself in your blog and allowing me to do the same!

Phillipe Copeland said...

Hey brother, I was referred to you by Tanja. I like what I see, I'm interested in the pedagogical implications of the inclusion of religion and spirituality in social work education. It seems like we have some similar interests and so I hope you don't mind if I include you as a link on my sidebar. Pay a visit to my blog and leave a comment if the spirit hits you.

Peace.

Jasmine Denise said...

I'm glad I came to your post after seeing your comment on my page. I read Black Boy and Native Son this past year for the first time. Both were very reflective for me because at this point in my life, I had seen and questioned similar things. Whenever I crave more fulfillment in certain areas of life, I am reminded of the parts in Wright's narrative where he states or describes his hunger. He was hungry for knowledge, understanding, and peace which is very similar to me and I believe, most people. Fab post!

Pedagogical Criticality said...

You know, I had not considered the metaphors that could be drawn for hunger from Wright's narrative. How could I have missed that? Thanks Jasmine. I need to go back and consider how his physical hunger was connected to his hunger for justice, equality, education, even spiritual hunger. Wow...

What quality would you most like people to notice when they meet you?