Wednesday, July 28, 2010

We All Need Goals


After doing a little "technologies" teaching today, I decided to keep up my theme of goals and vision. It was really inspired by the 6th grade students sharing "what they want to be when they grow up" with me. So, I began an impromptu talk about what it means to set goals and the kind of goals that a 6th grader might be thinking about. At the end of the session, I asked each of them to share some goals with me... goals that they will write down and actively work towards:

Here's a short list. I hope you'll be as inspired as I am.

1. You cannot be "Daddy" before you are "Husband."
2. Mommy 2nd, Wife 1st. No babies before finishing school.
3. Never smoke drugs.
4. Make better marks next term.
5. Don't bully other students at school.
6. Avoid peer pressure.
7. Do what the teacher instructs.
8. Come to school with the expectation to learn.
9. Build good study habits.
10. Take responsibility for my education.
11. Become a doctor, judge, teacher, lawyer, soccer player, pilot, architect, taxi driver (hey don't knock it!), singer, artist, police officer, soldier...

I felt so inspired by these young people's excitement around goal setting. Sometimes, all young people need is some encouragement. Someone to say "you are special" "you are beautiful" "you are uniquely and wonderfully created, and you have a future and a hope and a destiny"...

Written by Frederick A Hanna

No comments:

What quality would you most like people to notice when they meet you?