Sunday, September 6, 2009

But I Will Trust in God…

Have you ever gotten down on yourself because you felt that your TRUST IN GOD was challenged? Did you think that you were alone in that place? That what you were experiencing was something unlike what other Christians experience?

Well, I read in Psalm 13 where King David said,

1 How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?

2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart daily?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?


This was King David! The great king David... the mighty warrior, King David... God's chosen, King David...

A lot of churches today will tell you that if you’re feeling the way that David felt in Psalm 13, then you are a spiritual failure… your faith is weak… BUT the fact of the matter is that most of us can identify with David’s cries… Most of us have struggled with the fact that life isn’t always easy, and life isn’t always fair, and blessings don’t always look the way we think they should look… Have you ever heard that saying,
“that was a blessing in disguise?”
Well I don't know about you, but I don’t want all my blessings to be in disguise all the time! Sometimes I need a blessing that I can see coming! A blessing that I can Recognize… A blessing THAT LOOKS just like I prayed it would look…

I want you to know something today, I want you to know if that’s you… if that’s you… crying out like David… struggling with God… I want you to know that kind of cry does not indicate an absence of faith. In Fact it may very well be the most sincere expression of faith because it shows that you are involved in a process... A process that takes you on a path of moving forward in life… a process that takes you on a path of growing with God… …of learning to trust God… of learning to
“trust in the Lord, and to lean not on thine own understanding…”


Learning to TRUST in God can be a process, but the destination is sweet... "the peace that passes all understanding…"

An excerpt from a sermon preached on September 6, 2009 at Cedar Park Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, PA

Written by Frederick A Hanna

No comments:

What quality would you most like people to notice when they meet you?